View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Re-inventing the wheel: a blind play strategy

[ QUOTE ]
He is not a maniac, but plenty loose and plenty aggressive. He will show down Ace high or better virtually 100% of the time heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If I just called his raise preflop and allowed him to continue pounding away regardless of his hand, getting to the showdown with my 55 or unimproved AK is far more affordable as I save 1 sb preflop and at least 1 sb postflop. When the flop does improve me I can ambush him with a checkraise on the street of my choosing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raiser is bad we can take the easy way and attack when we are ahead, check-call when we dont know and check-fold when we think we are behind. This is perfect against someone betting way to much and not adapting to what we do.

But if we only attack with an okay hand against a thinking player he will kill us HU. How hard is to play against a guy where you know that a checkraise on flop and a bet on turn always means better then a small pair? Or where a 3bet preflop means top 10% of hands?

If we used to 3bet 25% of the hands we played agains a stealraising LAG preflop we cant suddenly start to 3bet only the 10% best and call rest. Not unless other guy is stupid.

And since both we and him will miss most flops we cant start to just checkcall all those times we dont hit with those 15% we used to attack with preflop. Not unless he is stupid and unable to adjust.

Not saying its wrong to play some weaker hands more passive against LAGs, just saying that against a thinking player we must do it in a way that dont give our hand away, both preflop and postflop.