View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Would you have said anything? (Players asks to see mucked cards)

Game: Turningstone 1-3 Hold'em ("7 to the river!").

Players: Small pot, maybe $10 or so, and it's heads up after the post-flop betting, between a loose passive, older-guy calling station (although he'll donkishly throw $2 out usually if checked to) and a weak-tight 20-something (knows what hands to raise and play pre-flop, but pretty bad post-flop player).

Hand: flop is Kxx. Turn x. River 2. The kid flips over K2 for the rivered 2-pair. Old guy mucks. Kid asks to see old guys cards. Dealer explains the implications if the cards are in fact a winner, etc. Kid undesrtand and says "that's fine...I just wanna know what he had."

I'm in Seat 4. Kid is in seat 7. People around me are confused as to what's going on. I explain to them he has the right to see, but it's really there to invoke in cases of suspected collusion, and how I think it's kind of a cheap move (who the hell needs to see what a chip dispenser at 1-3 is mucking??).

Rather than being smart and keeping my mouth shut, I give a sarcastic "What? Did you think he was cheating?" down to the kid. He responds with an irritated "What's your problem? I just wanted to know what he had." I just kinda laugh and shake my head, saying no more. He responds with "What are you laughing at? Why don't you just shut the hell up?"

Then he gives me a line I'm still trying to figure out. I had a Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets minor league team) cap on, and he looks at me and says: "What are you, in the hat of the month club or something?"

And that was it. Nothing else between us. He left a little while later.

Do you say anything in that situation where the spirit of the rule is clearly being violated (especially when he makes it a point to say he's doing it just to see what the other guy had)?

Thoughts? (Sorry for the long post)