View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: STT basic strategy checklist

I hope this discussion continues.

I often wonder which strategy is better
1) Tight, survive - play strong poker at the bubble
2) Play early, aim to have a larger chipstack at the bubble, where you can do some damage.

I wonder what the probabilities are of ending up with 1000+ chips playing more "loose."

I have been experimenting with this strategy a little the last 3 days. Frankly, I don't think I'm very good anymore. I just don't think there's enough chips to play with (PP - 800 starting chips) to give you the folding equity required later on.

That being said, my hand selection could leave a lot to be desired. I aim to continue this idea - offset by some tight play in other games to maintain some bankroll. Perhaps reading Harrington on Hold'em would help...

IMO, tight play early gives you the credibility that you need to make that one blind steal that you need to have on that 100/200 level which ensures your survival. With the vast number of players multi-tabling, I'm just not sure if this is true. Any opinions?

If I play tight, and get to the 50/100 level with 650 chips I have found that I need to steal once this round, and twice the following round to make it in the money. If I am not successful at these three attempts then I will be OTM for sure.

Phil, how can I really open up the game more, and feel confident I'll be in the money as high as I currently doing? 40%.

Scuba