View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: My LA Trip Report -- Sorry Its So Long

[ QUOTE ]
2. According to JTG, Rick Nebiolo once said something about the 1-2 game possibly being beatable and something about involving putting someone in a woodchipper on a bet if they couldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I remember I wrote was if I was forced into a proposition where I had to play a year (minumum one thousand hours) of "blue chip" (1/2 to 4/8 limits) in Los Angeles and beat the game (no cheating on record keeping) OR be thrown feet first into a woodchipper (apparently this is a lot more unpleasant than head first) I'd play 3/6 Omaha. It would be inconceivable to me that I couldn't beat it, the rake is easily overcome and in a loose game your overlay is just so great (read the Omaha essays in Steve Badger's website for the reasons why).

[ QUOTE ]
Let me just say that the 1-2 MIGHT be beatable. The $2.50 they take out on the flop is very tough to overcome, but, I saw people betting into eachother with no money in the pot because they raked it all! (Yes, thats right! People were betting $2 on the turn to win NOTHING!). If the players are THAT stupid in that game, then it is definitely possible. But I wouldn't bet on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Los Angeles 1/2 games are fairly rare. Because full rake is taken on any flop, 2/4 or 3/6 is the baseline low limit game at most clubs. Note that for a card club, the small games cost just about as much to spread as a larger game.

I've written about this before but IMO the Los Angeles clubs have to figure out a legal way to take less drop on small pots (the law doesn't allow drop to be dependent on pot size) in order to encourage new customers starting out at low limits or encourage the tighter retirees to start 3/6 to 6/12 games earlier in the day when the games are typically tighter.

Regards,

Rick

PS Until about a year ago, if someone open raised in a Commerce 3/6 game and the blinds folded (meaning no flop), they still took $3 plus $1 jackpot drop!