View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Parts list...how does this look?

[ QUOTE ]
If youre just going to be playing poker then you could probably save a couple hundred bucks and get a less exspensive cpu.

If I were you then I'd just purchase a less exspensive single core processor like a 3000 Venice or a 3700 San Diego, and see if that fills your needs. And if you later decide that you do need a dual core cpu then you can just swap one in. By that time AMD will have released their new A64 platform (1st qaurter '06)and the top of the line 939s will be a little bit cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am strongly considering the 3800 x2 since it is about $80 cheaper. I actually don't remember why I had decided on the 4200 instead. (I initially made this wish list a few weeks ago.) I am pretty sure I'd prefer a dual core processor even though the 3500 Winchester that I had been considering is about $120 less than the 3800 x2. I expect to be running a lot of applications at any given time, and I don't expect to upgrade for a very long time, so I might as well go dual core. I considered going with a 3500 single core for a while, then upgrading later, but it will still end up costing more money to go that route unless I wait a very long time to upgrade, so I figured I'd just go dual core now. I don't know anything about the new platform you mentioned. Do you have any links so I can see what you are talking about? I really would like to place an order in the next week or two, though.