View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Living in the US, Learning the English Language

[ QUOTE ]
1) You aren't very bright.
2) Politics forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I figured I'd take a stab and say if you are living in the US, learn [censored] English

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It isn't the official language. If they want to learn it for a job or school or whatever they have the option. If they don't think they need to, then why should they?

[ QUOTE ]
I was inclined to respond "Why is ANYTHING in the US printed in Spanish"

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a large number of people who speak Spanish maybe?

[ QUOTE ]

I just think the US is going too far with supporting the Spanish language. (i.e. Spanish manuals, Spanish instructions, dedicated Spanish channels, dedicated Spanish radio stations, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

The US does not support any specific language. Companies choose to do what is in their own best interests. If that means making products accessible to Spanish speakers, then they do. I can't believe you're actually employed.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention how Mexican immigrantsare somehow PROTECTED and GAIN BENEFITS in the US. No wonder they want to come here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are. That's what the country was founded on smart guy. If you were talking about illegal-immigrants then you should have gone to Politics Forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that biased and racist?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you are.

Get hit by a bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
1) You aren't very bright

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, Politics forum would have been better, you are correct sir.

Some insightful posts all around, I guess the frustration/venting was primarily due to people not wanting to learn the English language.

The example given, an internal document was provided in English. It is a requirement to know English to work here. Read the document in English, why does it need to be printed in Spanish (and cost the company money)?

My statement was applied to everyone living in the US, but it is a valid point that the US doesn't have an official language (although IMO it should be English) but even if it did, do you honestly think that would change anything? I doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
The US does not support any specific language. Companies choose to do what is in their own best interests. If that means making products accessible to Spanish speakers, then they do. I can't believe you're actually employed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I haven't come across a company (in my field) that doesn't REQUIRE English as a pre-requisite for a given job. My opinion on the English language has no impact on my ability to get a job, so I am not sure why it is hard to believe I have one.

[ QUOTE ]
Because there is a large number of people who speak Spanish maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a large number of people who ONLY speak Spanish maybe?