View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Why do i start daydreaming when I try to learn something by readin

Sry J Chap just got back, so if you are still around: People with ADD are capable of paradoxical intense submersion into tasks, ie I've always done well on standardized tests, I hate the idea of taking them but after the first question I'm quite unaware of outside circumstances and before I know it 4 or 6 hrs or gone, I feel the same way playing poker. I think many ADDers have a great ability of free association and can use this in gaming to keep opponents from predicting your behavior, and because I can't keep these damn numbers in my head I compensate by watching the players more and trying to develop any information I can. I work in a field that is dominated by newtonians and obsessive compulsives, and I haven't been able to deep an organized clean desk since first grade, but I do fine because I can answer and act on the most important question: What is wrong with this picture and how can I solve the problem in the quickest way, thereby going to the next problem to satisfy my need for constant stimulation. Also you have to learn to recognize when you are at a point when you can't apply those abilities of perception and learn to step out at that point. I don't think ADD is a disease for many of us (but I have seen pathological levels of it in kids that no doubt need intense intervention), its a talent that just doesn't fit in with the standard ways we school and work, too bad because its a huge waste of that talent.