View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Median Best Hand Part II

How many times playing Holdem have you asked yourself, What is the Best hand I can expect to be playing against?

We began looking at this question in the thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#702500

There are some who say this question is not interesting. They are free to read no further. But some of us find this question intriging. There are problems with this question such as, what do you condsider "best hand". Certainly it depends on the situation but these are some of the situations where it appears most relevant.

1. You are thinking of enterring the fray with many hands yet to act. Many pots at this table end up heads up. How does my hand fare against the stregnth of the field behind me?

2. I am in a tournament and I am short stacked. My stack will be pretty much eaten up by my next blind. I look at my cards and ask myself, is this hand better than what I can expect to get in the next n hands dealt to me?

3. I am in a tourny short stacked. I would like to take a shot at stealing the blinds. There are n players to act between me and the BB. Is my hand good enough to make an All-In move?

imo, These are the kind of questions where it is natural to ask if my hand is better than the BEST hand I can expect to be up against.

One problem is settling on a Hand Ranking System. In other words, what do you mean by "Best Hand".

Aisthesis has shown interest in solving this problem for case 3. A solution would be an expansion on the recent Sklansky article in the CardPlayer in which he anyalized the situation for the Small Blind. There is a Skalnsky Ranking system developed with K (I'm sorry I don't know K's name better) where this has been solved for the Small Blind situation. This thread will look at the same problem where you are not in the Small Blind but are thinking similiarly.

Please do not [censored] on this Thead

PairTheBoard