View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: What is the link between poker and backgammon/chess/bridge?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone seriously considers Woolsey a top 10 in the world bridge player. I don't know about backgammon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kit Woolsey is almost certainly considered one of the top 10 backgammon players in the world, as well as one of the game's most recognized and trusted authorities, along with Robertie and X-22. Don't know about his abilities in bridge, although he's certainly very good.

[ QUOTE ]
I was not aware that Harrington had won a world championship in backgammon. If that is true, I would consider him in Eisenberg's class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not the "World Championship" (Monte Carlo) per se, but the "World Cup" (Dallas), which is considered by backgammon aficionados to be much tougher to win than the world championship (in the championship flight, EVERY MATCH is best 3-out-of-5 matches to 11 points, and even the consolation and last-chance flights are matches to 29 and 25 points, respectively). Robertie and X-22 have both won the Monte Carlo event (Robertie's won it twice), while Harrington has won the Dallas event (Robertie and X-22 may also have won it, can't remember off the top of my head).

Speaking of Magriel, where is he in this conversation? One of the greatest backgammon players of all time, indisputably, as well as a very good-to-great tournament poker player, and a chess master as well.

--Scott