View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 09:42 AM

Default since you said please...

PokerGuy, you said

"From most of your posts you sound like some bitter ugly chick. There's a reason nobody wants you and it has nothing with your looks. Your personality is much uglier than your looks i'm sure. Well it might be close only you know for sure."

Then,

"Baggins, I do know this girl. I know her to come out and rip someone for no good reason. She says something nasty and leaves. Never has anything nice to say. Just wants to try to make people miserable so they can be like her. Oh and btw i know your looking to laid. But you got know shot with her. I don't think she likes men."

QUESTIONS:

1. Please elaborate on "inexplicable."

I did a quick 2+2 search, and validated my initial assumptions that 1) Jenbuckshot hasn't really posted that much, and 2) there wasn't anything particularly bitter, or which would reveal as to whether or not guys lust after her, or she after them. She may be somewhat of a cynic in terms of her sense of humor, but I could probably say that about her just by knowing that she is a girl on 2+2, without reading any of her posts.

2. How is what I said not "right on?"

Well, it is very possible that you are reacting very predictably and correctly, but to only one post of Jenbuckshot's, and that it happens to be some obscure post which made in into your sample and onto your radar screen but not onto mine. But whether or not this is the case is obscured, rather than cleared up, by your assertions that you "do know" her, and her comings and goings and so on, but don't know what she looks like - if I understood all that right. As a someone who picks up on patterns, I can probably say Baggins is a flirt, Jenbuckshot is not. But much beyond that, I would have to say that either your reading skills are far superior to mine, or you're working with non-public material.

3. Who is "us?"

In general, in a forum like this, you have to be aware that you are talking to an individual, and to the forum at large, at the same time. So when you tell Jenbuckshot that she's ugly, or tell Baggins that Jenbuckshot is a lesbian, the rest of us want to be persuaded of these things as well, or you're just wasting our space. You can address it to Jenbuckshot, but really what you have to be doing is saying to the rest of us, Jenbuckshot is this kind of person and here is my evidence.

4. Who is eLROY speaking for besides himself?

I can only assume my 2+2 surfing habits are at least as thorough as the average reader of your post. And my manner of thinking is not unusual. In fact, I was tempted to make a post before Baggins did, not criticizing you, but questioning your motivation, like maybe you thought Jen was calling you a mope, rather than El Cid. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to suspect that more than one other person would be nearly as puzzled as I was, or nearly as disappointed as Baggins was.

And yes, I did become less puzzled in the course of this examination, but you have to appreciate the burden you're putting on the reader to sort it out. Anyway, I could say a lot more, but I think I have fulfilled my debt to your use of the word "please"

eLROY