View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: What should I do for a living?

OP - unless UCS has improved since I've been there, they won't be of great assistance to you. They are primarily concerned with the recruiting process, which you've probably missed / don't care about anyway (for investment banking / management consulting). These jobs are still available to you, but if the scheduling is the same as when I was an undergrad, you have missed most of the major firms. There are niche firms / positions that might appeal to your specific interests, but the general Analyst track is not that fulfilling or interesting, probably not a great fit for you.

Here are some things I've done (during undergrad and post) that I've found helpful in finding a job I truly enjoy (I now work in strat planning in network television, and like my job alot).

1) Hook in to the alumni network. People really like talking to you about their careers. Based on the quick description of your interests, things off the top of my head you might be interested include 1) strat planning for a corporation; 2) government job with NSA or something with quant focus; 3) hedge fund stuff; 4) private equity / venture. You can get a list of people compiled for you by UCS (or you can use the alumni directory and start spammin people).

2) Don't listen to your fellow undergrads. Most people who did banking or consulting right after college got sick of it after a while. There's a reason why. Talk to recent grads. Current students think these tracks are the [censored] but they are wrong and have no perspective.

3) Possible to do an externship during spring break, look into that.

4) Don't worry if you aren't employed right after school. You're definitely employable, so don't feel pressure to rush into something if you're feeling very leery of the position.

5) Somewhat contradicting point 4 - jobs are very different even within the same industry, and have alot to do with team dynamics, management in place, culture etc. You'll never really know if it's a good fit until you work there. So if you have doubts before taking the job, it's natural.

Good Luck And PM Me with Specific Questions If You Want,
-Al

Edit - hm - maybe there is still time for resume drop for good consulting / private equity / banking positions, I'm thinking b-school sked. Definitely look into those positions carefully for possible good fits. Consulting / banking generally sucks, but there are more interesting positions within the field, even at the Analyst level. Also check PE shops like Blackstone.