View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Knowing when to stop playing...(somewhat long)

Hey guys, first post in psych. forum. I am a SSNL player with about 2 years experience playing. In the past, I have ran relatively well for my SSNL home game (I have always played live, never really online), and in my mind, I know the game (and the players I play with 2 times a week) are beatable.

Over the last 3 sessions however, I have been running bad. Session 1 due to being simply run over in a 3 handed Super LAG game and session 3, where the deck was smacking me down. At what point during the session (in which you are stuck money) do you just pick up your stuff and leave?

In the past, I have always played long enough to get my money back (for the most part). This is an arduous task, but in the end, I am always stubborn enough to stick with the game until it breaks.

I have found that ego is not really the problem. I see no point to prove that I am a better or worse player than another.

My problem is being stubborn. When I am stuck 2 or 3 buy-ins, I tend to re-buy- in a way, you may call it tilt. My game is usually not affected by however much I've lost or won (at least I think), and tilting is not that big of a factor for me.

For those players who can give up 2-3 buy-ins, then stand up and leave, what concepts or modes of thinking do you engage in when leaving? Is it just pure discipline to say "enough is enough"?

Perhaps it is a gambling problem I have. Or the hunger to redeem myself after losing. Whatever it is, I feel I need to fix it before I move up in limits.

Thanks,
orange