Thread: What are...
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: What are...

Ok, I couldn't do this without mentioning 4 or 5, here goes.

1. Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain- This book interests me a lot because Huckleberry is a blank slate at the beginning, and through his experiences he forms his own morals and values. In his isolated world he is actually forming morals ahead of his time.

2. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig- I found myself thinking about this book about 4 times as much as I did actually reading it, I think that qualifies as important.

3. Frankenstein, Mary Shelley – I think there’s a lot to be said for reading this book and then arguing what you think of Victor and The Monster. What that Victor has done is justified? If his intentions were good in creating The Monster does that make it not really his fault? How much responsibility does The Monster have for his actions?

4. Moneyball, Michael Lewis- Maybe people who don’t follow baseball closely won’t relate to this, but I think the concepts in this book apply to a lot of business and political issues. Whenever decisions are bound by “The Club” mentality he talks about in this book it leads to a huge flaw in decision making.

As a bonus, a movie
The Shawshank Redemption- I haven’t read the book. The movie basically explains male friendship in a way nothing else has.