View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Raise pocket 9\'s in EP?

"1. Loose where any raise will get a couple cold calls, the blind(s) and the limper. Thus I now have invested an extra bet to have a multiway pot where 20 of the 50 cards left will be dangerous to me. These kind of players will call down with any TP and even middle or bottom.
If I hit my set I may have limited the action because they fear a big hand already.

2. Tight. I get most to fold. Well I can usually pick up this pot but its a lot less than a big multiway that I can raise, ck raise, 3bet etc the TP, 2pair, draws. If I miss it only cost me 1sb. I can also spew a lot of chips trying to push out a better hand and fail."

1) I see that you play 2/4. If you hit your set, it is not true in general that you will not get action. If you get 5 callers to your raise then this is perfect. Some will get a peice of the flop some will have overs, and with the bigger pot, they will hang around for more. If you expect 5 callers to your EP raise, then I say raise 99 a lot, if not always.

2) You should be happy with this result, too, as it is profitable. 99 holds up well against 1, 2 opponents. Better to win little than lose big.