View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: online poker psychology research

Hi, I just took your questionaire.

It's not bad, but I'm thinking that your results may be a little bit skewed by having pros take the test.

A couple of examples:

18) In the past 12 months with online poker, have you needed to gamble with larger amounts of money to get the same feeling of excitement?

If you moved up in limits then you would have to answer yes to this question, but it won't be for the reasons you will assume.

17) Thinking about the past 12 months, have you felt guilty about the way you gamble on online poker or what happens when you gamble on online poker?

If I went on tilt, and felt guilty about it, but recovered my game, what will that tell you about me? My answer to this question will either be false or misleading for you.

22) In the past 12 months, has your online poker gambling caused you any health problems, including stress or anxiety?

You may want to reword this to something like extreme stress or anxiety. I think everyone who plays will experience some stress if they are doing their best.

28) On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) how good an online poker player would you say you are?

I assume you mean at your current limit. If so, you should probably specify this.

In your clinical test (the second part) you ask:

4) In the last 12 months have you claimed to be winning money gambling but weren't really? In fact, you lost?

I answered No to this question because I understand what you are getting at. However, there are some times when it is better to lie about this information, especially at the table. As long as you don't believe your own lies... (I'm not sure how you should rephrase the question, but it is something you should be aware of)

Just some thoughts.

Good luck with your research.