View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Who are the fish in Vegas?

I won't give a direct answer, because like mikever I really don't know what i'm talking about. But I will mention that Michael Craig's The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King gives a bit of insight into top cash players' lifestyle in general and this question in particular.

When Andy Beal shows up, it's obvious to them that he's (1) wealthy and (2) interested in poker. It goes without saying -- in the players' minds, at least -- that he's (3) not as good at them at poker. Of course the point of the story is Beal's efforts to make this third assumption wrong.

But the relevance to this thread is, it's obvious that the players are ready to hop on planes or drive from LA to Vegas at a moment's notice when there's a rumor of a rich "donor". Therefore my inference is that there are others with Andy Beal's money, but without his drive to beat the best at heads-up limit hold'em.

(Eh, I was answering more in response to the thread that led me here from the Poker Theory forum, about the "big name" pros. I'm sure there are plenty of other successful pros on this site to give you a first hand answer.)