View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Checking the flop with a monster on a scary board

I've noticed that on .5/1 Party tables that checking the flop tends to get more action on the turn. The cases that I notice this is when a big hand hits the flop but there is a two flush as well. The pot is too big to make the flush draw wrong with the small bet so I check and wait till the turn to lead out. Here is an example:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

No, I don't know why I didn't bet the river, bad kero, no biscuit.

This example may not be the best because I wasn't even thinking that someone had hit the straight, but since starting to wait to the turn instead of leading out I've noticed that it's like the other players think the flop missed me and are more likely to bet into me with 2nd or 3rd best hands. I'm not using this as a standard line yet because it seems a little too fancy and most flush chasers don't pot odds from pot roast. Thoughts?

Edit: Got rid of the straight from the example hand, dissregard anything straight related in this post.