View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Me too !!!

This happened to me also.
I posted this yesterday, but left out the details because I was more concerned about protecting myself for future attacks rather than dwelling on what happened.

On Tuesday, I logged into Neteller and saw a slew of transactions which I didn't authorize. Two of them were for $1500 + fee InstaCashes, and the rest were for credit deposits. I called Neteller and they transferrred me to their investigations team and the girl that answered (her name was Tara) immediately realized what had happened.

She said many cases were reported recently by other Neteller users, and the IP address that hacked my Neteller is the same as that of these other reported cases. She mentioned the possiblity of a MYTOB virus, as some of you other guys were told.

Of the 2 instacashes, one had already hit my bank and were paid, but the 2nd one was caught in time. The credit cards transactions were done with a stolen cards, as others have reported.

The day after this happened I had Geeks-On-Call come and clean up my computer and install a firewall. Perhaps what happened is also partly my fault because I wasn't very dilligent about internet security before. Anyway, Geeks-On-Call didn't find MYTOB which makes me nervous, but it's consistent with what I was told by Neteller, which is that the hacker will typically remove the MYTOB virus to delete his trace after he gets what he needs.

So, I got all this antivirus and firewall set up, but how secure am I? Luckily, Neteller recognized these instacashes were fraudulent and I won't be charged with the one instacash that hit my bank, but wtf am I supposed to do about this stuff in the future?

I have this firewall now that alerts me when something is trying to access the internet. So had I had this firewall set up at the time of the hacking, would I have been alerted. Or is this virus so new that it would've escaped detection?

Question to those of you that got hacked. Did you guys have a firewall set up when this happened to you?