View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Why choose Limit over No-Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play limit.

The reason I play limit is because that's all that they offered way back in the "old days" when online poker first started. I went out and bought HEFAP and read and reread it until I was skilled enough to turn a profit. I still do.

When NL became available, I was intrigued by it, especially since that's all they show on TV poker shows. I've played in a lot of NL tourneys online and live, but cannot get comfortable playing NL ring games. I think it's purely a matter of experience. I just haven't invested enough hours reading the right books (I don't even know what these would be), or plain and simply playing. I tried a little NL last night, after reading this thread, for variety. I was pissed after I played AQo the same way I'd play it in limit, except making pot sized bets. I got a bunch of callers, but the flop was my dream flop, I keep betting only to run into a set. I just don't know what to watch out for, and mistakes are gonna take my whole stack, rather than a few BBs here and there. The learning curve just seems too steep, and I'm happy just playing limit for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand you will probably lose most money with in NL is AQ because of the reverse implied odds. I won't even call a raise with it unless I have a good read on the raiser's choice of raising hands in his current position. However, I might call with something like 76s if the raise isn't too large and the money is deep. With position you could also reraise in NL with perhaps a pair of 9s because of the massive power of position in NL if he calls.

The problem with AQ is that you will win small pots against weaker aces and lose big pots against AK, 2P or sets. If a lot of money goes in and you have one pair with AQ, you aren't winning and its time to get out unless you have a read on your opponents bluffing strategies.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. This is backed up by my PT stats. Have lost more with AQo than any other hand it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I know AQo is a "trouble hand" in NL. I read Doyle's section of SuperSystem and know how he "never plays" AQ. But, I guess I am currently in the limit mindset and figure it's a tragedy not to open with a raise in middle position with it. I can't hardly limp or lay it down. I guess it's something I've got to struggle with if I decide to play more NL.

I just got HOH I & II in the mail today, so I am completely hyped about playing some No-limit tourneys. I just signed myself up for a freeroll to knock off the rust, so maybe I'll be in the NL tourney forum getting my groove on. See y'all there! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]