View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: a \"monster\" hand

I would just call, and hope that the BB would come along for a nice four-handed pot. I also want to be sure that EP doesn't fold. Even though EP is loose, he may toss away his hand for two more bets if he was just fooling around with his raise.

If MP2 is solid, he may very well be trying to isolate EP to get headsup against a loose-aggressive player. So his hand does not necessarily need to be as strong as his typical 3-bet hand would be. Obviously the big worry with MP2 is duplication. MP2 could easily have something like A4KK, however, so I would not be worried enough to toss my hand.

I disagree with the posters recommending that you fold this hand. Any A23 is one of the best possible starting hands in O8. Although I would ideally like more than two other players in the hand, it still rates to be profitable against 2 players, especially if one is loose-aggressive.

You are not, as has been described, "only playing for low" if you take a flop with this hand. What hand could the raisers have against which you would have no shot at the high half of the pot? Very rarely would you be a big dog for the high half of the pot. In addition to the obvious potential to make a small straight, against two other players, your nine-high flush will often be good if it comes home. You will also make random two-pairs, trips, and full houses from time to time. Furthermore, if a low comes on the board and you make anything for high, you will often be able to raise out a stronger high-only hand gaining three-quarters of the pot against another nut low.

The only catastrophe for you would be if both the BB and EP fold and you end up heads-up and out of position against the solid MP. I don't think that this will happen often enough to justify folding here, however.