View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Akward stack spot - whats my line?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So..should I just be shoving pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

AK likes to see all five cards.

IMO anytime you have a raising hand and the opportunity to increase your stack by >15%, if you are not called, pushing is never far from the optimal play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two good points.

Is that 15% number a standard rule of thumb?

<font color="blue"> It's something Sklansky wrote a long time ago regarding tournament play that I think applies very well to STT. If you go into push/fold mode below 10BB you're doing it by default, but I use it as a general rule anytime the dead money in the pot is more than 15% of my stack </font>
And using that rule of thumb - would you still shove if you knew you'd only get called by people ahead of you?
(Say I had A 9s on the button with limpers in front of me.)

<font color="blue"> A9s with a bunch of limpers is not really a raising hand. (except to steal) This guideline is used when you have a hand that demands a raise, but pushing may chase out a profitable caller. If your going to pickup 15% don't worry about losing anybody. Especially at the lower levels you will get plenty of calls to your pushes. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The push/fold with less than 10BB "rule" and the if your raising more than 30% of your stack you should push "rule" all lead to the same 15% cutoff.