View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Typical boring KK hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Make a bigger raise preflop and you don't end up in this weird spot. Gotta push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard raise (and most people's I think) is 4xbb + 1bb for each limper. I occasionally raise more than that if I'm out of position, but I was in good position here. My standard raise would have been $8, but the table was playing tight up until this hand. I raised to $7. My fear is that if I raised any more, everyone would fold. Or, if they didn't fold, they'd only call with a pocket pair and try to spike a set against my obvious big pair.

Do you raise to something like $10 in this situation? What is your experience with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks when they fold to a 8-10 raise, but I feel you need to take that risk. With so many limpers already in, a chain reaction will go off: As soon as one person calls, everyone else will be getting good odds and will often overcall just like in this hand. You want to build huge pots preflop with position when you hold AA-KK. The ideal situation is when 1 player calls and you have a nice sized heads up pot with position. I raise to 10 with AK and many other hands if the table has been limping and folding to raises, so I usually can get away with making it 10 with AA.