View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best/favorite/greatest poker book notin my poll?

The best poker book that I've read is Small Stakes Hold Em. My criteria includes not just the sheer amount of information contained but also the quality of the writing and how entertaining it was to read. Theory of Poker loses points for me due to the second two criteria. I feel that it is awkwardly written and too information dense for my purposes as a recreactional small stakes player. I prefer books that have a good mixture of examples which help to illustrate the points being made.

So given my stated criteria, my favourite poker books are (in this order):
- Small Stakes Hold Em
- Harrington on Hold Em Vol 1
- How Good is Your Limit Hold Em
- King Yao's Weighing the Odds

All four of those books were extremely informative as well as entertaining to read and provided many examples to illustrate the points being made.

Very useful but boring to read:
Theory of Poker

Easy to read but more derivative (well suited for beginner books):
Internet Texas Hold Em
Winning Low Limit Hold Em

That is all of the books that I've read (obviously not as much as many of you have). I've also read parts of Supersystem and Caro's Book of Tells and I wasn't impressed that much by either one. Supersystem seems poorly written and Book of Tells uses way too much exaggeration (but I will eventually force myself to read it for live games). Next for me to read are Ciaffone's PL/NL book and Gordon's the Little Green Book.