View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: what makes a republican/Democrat

Nice writeup, jt1!

I think you have a lot of good ideas there. These categorizations of characteristics -- "Republican" or "Democrat" -- seem quite arbitrary. IMO, that's an artifact of a two-party system. We've got to put all human concerns into two categories. That's quite an oversimplification of the human condition! But, that's the system in place. I don't have an answer, it just strikes me as quite a problem.

Republicans have picked up quite a bit of steam carrying the "Nationalism" flag. Are you "for the U.S." or "against the U.S."? Simple choice for simple minds.

The Democrats need better leadership, organization and unification. The problem with the Democrats is that there is no strong voice or unifying cause. I choke on my vomit a little as I vote for pencil necks like Kerry or Gore. At least Bush has some balls, even if he is a shifty-eyed weasel. I hope next time the Democrats put up a candidate, he'll show some strength and courage of conviction, without squawking like a chicken like Dean in the last election. Give us some charisma. Sad to say, but the issues don't really matter as much as the voice delivering them. The Democrats don't seem to get this, despite the past success of Bill Clinton.