View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: \"One week as a pro\" article

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would shoot myself if I made $20 a hour at poker, it's SUPER EASY to make over $50 a hour, and not too hard to cross the $100 a hour mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. See, your $20/hour isn't even really $20. You aren't paying taxes, so you aren't adding to your social security. You also aren't getting benefits, which would also be included in that figure if you had a regular job. And aside from all that, you can even add variables like you probably aren't working 40hrs/week and the risk that you get popped for tax evasion. To me, $20/hr before taxes at poker is right on par with about $10/hr fulltime at a real job. Which is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read OP. The article plainly says you DO NOT pay taxes on winnings from gamblings in the UK. Benefits are available to people who are self employed the same way they are available to people who work for a corporation. 20/hour, tax free, is a decent income. Just because there are people making 500 dollars an hour, doesn't mean you should quit poker because you only make 50.