View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Media Coverage of Transit Strike

[ QUOTE ]
It is really tough for me to comment on the status quo since I believe the city monopoly on transportation to be an abomination (for obvious reasons which we can see now). I agree in a sense, I don't favor the union, but I agree that the media should stop viewing the MTA workers (the individuals, that is) as slaves -- people who have are forced to work at a job even if they are unsatisfied with their wages/conditions.

Why does the media never mention that the city monopoly is the reason for this mess, not the motives of the workers?

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, your premise is entirely wrong. The city has no control and little influence over NYC mass transit. The MTA is not controlled by the city, it is mostly controlled by the Governor.

But what is the alternative to public transportation for mass transit (which is heavily subsidized by the state and by drivers on the cities bridges and tunnel)? There are private bus companies providing services to certain areas where it is more economical to do so. Do you want to start digging private subway lines as well?