View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: A masterful play by Sirio11

A similar call by Estfandiari vs. Negreanu in a cash game, from Negreanu's blog:

[ QUOTE ]
As for the poker, that went extremely well today too. I had my best day at the table, but I still feel like I played my best poker when I lost on the first day. I played "ok" today, but I let Jennifer bluff me out of one pot and then made a "play" against Antonio that went like this:

Phil raised to $3200 and I called from the cut off seat with K-10 of diamonds. Antonio made it $12,000 on the button and Phil folded. I didn't think Antonio had to be all that strong before the flop, so I decided to take a flop with him and called.

The flop came Qs 10c 6s. I checked to Antonio who considered betting. I started yapping at him, 'You are betting $15,000 right? I know that's what you are betting. I don't know what I'm doing yet, I've got a little of this and a little of that."

Antonio replied, "So what are you gonna do if I bet?"

"I dunno, first thing I'll do is ask you how much you have left. Then I'll think for a minute, hum and haw, and maybe call, fold, or who knows I might even stick the whole shebang in there!" I said.

Finally, Antonio said, "All right," and threw $15,000 in cash into the pot.

I sensed fear in his bet. I didn't think he could beat a Q. He might have A-K, JJ, or even a hand like 88 or 99. I counted him down and he had close to $60,000 left.

After some hesitation, I threw out two bundles of $50,000 bricks to the center and heard Antonio gasp. Well, that was a good sign.

I pumped my fist a little bit and wiped my brow with a "phew." Then Antonio started talking, "Whaddya got there kid, A-10? Either that or K-Q, it would be sick if you have that K-Q."

From his dialogue it became obvious that he must have had JJ, "Jacks kiddo? I get it, you must have JJ right?" I said.

Antonio thought, and thought, and finally looked like he was about to fold. Then I blew it, I blew it big time. For some silly reason I said, "When you fold I'll show you a card," or some nonsense like that.

Antonio looked right at me and knew right away, "I call it," he said.

"Doh! I gave that one away. I had you folding too, man that was dumb," I said.

It was a great call. I felt like since Antonio lost the first big pot and was feeling the heat that I could push him around a little bit. It might have worked if I didn't stick my foot in my mouth!

That's not the end of the tale, however. The turn came a 2 and I said to Antonio, "You wanna run the river twice?"

"No man, just once, let's do it." he replied.

The river, was a... King! Yikes, I actually felt bad for him. He played the hand so well and really didn't deserve that at all. He played two monster pots perfectly and was stuck pretty good after both went down. I empathized with him, because that's a lot like how my first day went.

[/ QUOTE ]