Thread: AFC vs NFC
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Default AFC vs NFC

Looks like last years huge edge that the AFC held over the NFC has continued on to this year. That's not a huge surprise, but in the "anything can happen" NFL, some big trends are interesting to follow.

"Power Rankings" usually don't mean much, but here are John Clayton's:

Colts
Broncos
Bengals
Falcons
Buccaneers
Eagles
Cowboys
Steelers
Chargers
Jaguars

In my evaluations below, I'm combining the current performance of these teams, along with how I see their playoff chances:

The Falcons are the top ranked NFC team, and with a banged up Vick, I really wouldn't count on this team making a deep playoff run.

Next up are the Bucs, who are now playing Chris Simms at QB. Trouble.

The Eagles have some big injury problems, but they big game experience.

The Cowboys are the 4th ranked NFC team, and to me don't look any better than a meh team.

Obviously, AFC teams fill the top 3 spots, but more importantly, I think the next 2 AFC teams (Steelers and Chargers) are better than any of the 4 NFC teams mentioned above.

to me, all teams after this - except the Patriots - aren't serious Super Bowl contenders. the Patriots injury situation is sure to get better, and they will have much easier time as their schedule becomes more reasonable.

so that's 10 teams (not counting the Jaguars), and I see 1 NFC team (Eagles) with an ok chance of winning the Super Bowl, with the Falcons belonging in the discussion as well.

On a neutral field, I would take any of the above AFC teams against Dallas or TB (with Chris Simms).