Thread: Standard?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate taking lines like this. I probably fold the turn UI, or alternatively, I might raise the flop, call a three-bet, and fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like raising the flop the most. You capped pf and raised the flop, if he doesn't slow down, I'm pretty sure I'm beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’d like to share my thought process with you all, because of some discussion that went on outside of the thread.

• UTG open-limped and got caught in the pre-flop action. He is a rational player so far, seems semi-tight, and probably has good pre-flop standards. I’d say his hand range from his pre-flop action is most likely a medium pocket pair, or suited Broadway. I think we can rule out a monster such as AA for obvious reasons, and at the same time we can also assume he may have got caught in the pre-flop action but feels pot-committed to see the flop

• BB has the makings of a possible maniac. His previous action in the same position (open-capping A6s from the BB into a multi-way pot, and then betting all streets including the river when his A hit) showed me that he is capable of tricky play.

• I chose to cap pre-flop to try to take the initiative in the hand, and my position was a factor that I also considered. We know that BB’s hand raising standards are poor, better to take the initiative now because UTG is between us. If UTG was last to act, I would have chosen to call. Admittedly this is a marginal decision, one I don’t always choose. It is highly situational.

• The flop of T65 rainbow is a great flop for BB to bluff at, but it is also a good flop for my hand. When BB donks into the field after I capped pre-flop he most likely is either on a draw, or has over cards (I believe he would be the type to check-raise here otherwise). But in between us is UTG who once again called. If UTG does in fact have a hand such as QJs, KQo, or KJ then he is getting the odds he needs to call the flop. There is the other possibility that UTG connected with the T and is afraid of my action to come do to the pre-flop cap.

• Raising the flop would be a mistake, it would inflate the pot to 20 SB at least, giving any opponent the odds to call down with a gutshot, and UTG is rational enough to fold the flop rather than call the flop if he doesn’t have at least some hope of wining the pot. The best action is therefore to call, and wait for the turn for more information.

• UTG folds the turn, which simplifies the decision process. The T pairing is actually good for my hand if BB has overcards or is on a draw, now the decision is to either fold, call down or raise for a free showdown. Since we are heads up I chose to call since there is a chance I may still hold the best hand. Folding the turn unimproved here is not a decision I would make considering who the opponent is, and its also not a good place for a free showdown.

I'd love some opinions on my insight, when I explained my rational I convinced one naysayer already but that doesn't necessarily mean I am correct. I was short on time when I wrote this reply, point out any errors if necessary (didn't have time to proofread).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]