View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: melatonin.. what\'s the deal?

[ QUOTE ]

i've had trouble sleeping ever since i started college.. my roommate recommended taking melatonin (which is the natural chemical your body creates to regulate your circadian rhythms) and it's helping me fall asleep, but now i have trouble waking up and feel very groggy when i finally get out of bed.. anyone have experience with the drug? know anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a natural chemical, yes. But maybe what you're injesting isn't the right dosage your body needs. It's like a doc starting you on one level of a med and when you report your reactions, good or bad, he/she changes the Rx up or down.

[ QUOTE ]

also, i take a hit of pot before going to sleep, so that might have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're in the area of unknown chemical reactions. Like, grapefruit juice cancels out the benefits of many Rx's. One, or more, of the ingredients of pot may be reacting with the melatonin.

Suggestion: A few years ago I was having trouble sleeping but told my doc I'd never had good results with sleeping pills. She said to try Benadryl, "It's non-addictive and won't leave a hangover." I did. She was right. Worked, for me.

I've also had good results with Tylenol PM.

Both are available in Wal-Mart under their "Equate" brand. Cheaper.