View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Confessions of a maniac

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested to see some hand posts demonstrating your "maniac" style. It really does sound to me like you're describing aggressive vs. conservative play, not what most here would consider maniacal play. Your "rant" reads as a fairly standard, if undeveloped and perhaps unconsidered, generalization of some of the basic principles applicable to NL tournaments.

This statement, however:
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beats are a way of life, but another reason why i find bad beats not as bad as they use to be is that if you are a skilled tournament player, you should seldom find yourself all in, not because you don't put all your chips in the middle, but because you're the high stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

is just plain silly, especially in the context of online tournaments. How do you try to take down every pot, and build a big stack, without getting all your chips into the middle several times along the way, and being called, and winning? Once you get a big stack, how do you use it to your full advantage without putting significant portions of it at risk? This is not to say that you should care about bad beats or not push when a push is right. I just think the idea of expecting to consistently have such a huge stack, and such enormous fold equity, that you won't be at risk of elimination after a couple of bad beats, is a pipe dream.

You might want to re-read Harrington. I don't think he's advocating the sort of play you attribute to his work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of the games i find have a lot of medium skilled weak tight players, which i attribute to the popularity of poker books. How do I try to win every hand? Well, nearly every hand i'll try to play for the most value given the flop texture. I.e, in the beginning, i'll do fairly large continuation bets on nearly every hand i play, or if the flop is good for me, i'll try to just play the standard 2+2 way. Building massive to get fold equity in my opinion is key. A large part of players put hand rankings over position in my opinion. They'll decide to fold the 87s, A9os on the button instead of stealing once the blinds start to creep up. That is how you're able to build the stack that you need to win. Because yo'ure doing something that they're not, and the dead money thats on the table, has gone to you. And the quality of hand you have is not really important once you have position, and you read the table as extremely weak. Theres a very thin line to agressive play, and poor play, with the latter being attributed to not being able to fold when you get caught stealing. I don't know, just my early morning rant.