Thread: "Nice Hand...."
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: \"Nice Hand....\"

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to get your $ back. If someone plays J3o against me and gets lucky, I DEFINITELY hope he plays it next time.

Who knows, if enough people compliment him, maybe he'll adopt J3 as his "lucky" hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... and more subtly, even if he's smart enough to realize that he just got lucky to hit jacks full of threes, it's reinforcing results oriented thinking. If some bizarre full house is inherently a "nicer" hand than my top pair-good kicker, then it totally adds to what's already a confusing issue, that of not trusting short-term results.

On the other hand, I try to point out when I win by dumb luck. Maybe it was a big blind special, or maybe my KQs turned into kings full by the river or my pocket treys flopped a set then filled up. Either way, I'll just smile and say "lucky hand", because in a sense it absolutely was. I don't want them to think about the fact that my "lucky hands" may drag bigger pots than theirs of the course of a year or a decade, or that I'm not throwing away the money I win in a truly lucky hand by playing junk for the next three hours.