View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Common problem with super-draws

[ QUOTE ]
A lead is fine, but if Villian raised this pre-flop and is checked too, he will almost always fire a bet, thus you check raise and he either lays down his overs and you win pot or he three bets his AA, KK and you suckout or he just flat calls and you have to play poker on turn. If you always lead the flop this allows overs to get away easily and I feel your hand loses value. When calling a raise with this type of hand dont we want to play a big pot with such a huge draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

With these kinds of hands sure you want to play big pots, but it's important how you grow the pots. You really don't crush anything until you make your hand, you're just in good shape against everything, which means folding equity is very important. Either I want to make a huge bet that has a lot of folding equity, or I want to make my hand and get my money in against a nearly dead opponent. OOP means it's harder to get paid when you hit, which means you usually take the bet/threebet line to get the money in on the flop when you're in good shape and put your opponent to a tough decision. This is way too awkward with these stacksizes. I guess you might say checkraise/push serves the same purpose, but who the hell folds after threebetting the flop. You just get money in on a coinflip. If you're flatcalled you say "play poker on the turn". Yeah sure, but the situation sucks when you miss. You now have a lot of money in the pot and a lot less equity, as well as an opponent in position whose shown a lot of strength by calling the checkraise. There will be about 250 in the pot assuming pot-repot on the flop. You now have to either check/call or checkraise all in. Real tough spot.

Check/calling is my default, lots of room to play on the turn and river, hopefully you hit your straight and not the flush.