Thread: A2JT hand
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Results and comments

To recap:
My cards: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12 big bets): BB bets, next player raises to $60, next player calls $38 all-in.

I folded the river, then BB threebet, the other active player capped, BB called.

BB got three-quarters with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The other active player got half the low side with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

The all-in player got nothing, with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

If I had called all the raises on the river, I'd have won half the pot with my AJ beating BB's A9. Obviously it was my river fold that pissed me off and led me to order the hand history and post it here. But even as I was posting it, I saw that my call on the turn was a blunder. I suppose my thinking at the time was that neither of the preflop limpers could have an 8 because they would have raised either the flop or turn with trips or better (which they certainly would have -- just look at how they played what they actually were holding). Still, the BB could well have had trips or a boat already, and if not I was basically drawing to a jack or ten which might win the high half, or a trey which would likely win me a quarter but maybe not even that. There was only a very small probability that my A2JT was the best high on the turn, even though that turned out to be the case.

Thanks very much to everyone for all the responses in this thread. Buzz's analysis was spot on: [ QUOTE ]
It doesn't make any sense to call a bet on the third betting round and then fold on the fourth betting round when the river probably didn't promote to a winner any opponent's hand that couldn't already have beaten you for high.

[/ QUOTE ]
As an aside, I know I make tons of errors playing L08 because I get slaughtered when there are several good players at the table. But I have been making money playing 5/10, 15/30, and 20/40 online, because even though I'm bad, I choose tables where most players are much worse than I am.