View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 06:07 AM

Default If poker is your full time job, what do you tell people?

I have been playing poker online for a living for the last 5 months now, and I have been doing quite well at it. Even though I am only an average player, I manage to find ways (Fishy ring games, deposit bonuses, propping, tournaments ect.) to generate an income that is higher than the paid of most of my friends' jobs or most of entry level positions here in Canada. Because of the good income I am taking home a month, I very happy with my decision at the moment to play poker full time for a living (at least for now).

Here is my problem: Now at my age (25), everywhere I go I cannot avoid the question, what do you do? I had my grad ceremony (Business Management Degree) last Friday at a highly respected University, and the dam question kept coming up. Moreover, my cousin Jenny called me yesterday and announced that she is getting married and said she got a teaching job in New York. She then asked me so Richard what do u do for a living?

I am not really sure what to tell them. How do you guys answer this question? If I tell them I play poker, they think I am a degenerate gambler ("u going to be those people that have to sell their house to gamble") and I have a problem. If I tell them I can make 3K+ a month, they think I am lying. If I tell girls this, there goes any luck of picking them up. What about those people that advice me by telling me that how could I spend all those years and money to get an education, and now I gamble for a living.

Sometimes I look at my Business Degree and wonder what the heck am I doing? Do you guys ever question your decision?
Please feel free to express any thoughts or feelings regarding playing poker as a full time job. Thank you.

TheArtist