Thread: Chasing
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Chasing

[ QUOTE ]

Jim - But it’s not just costing you one bet!

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem you speak of only shows up when I catch an offsuit 9 or a low club. This is a total of 8 cards.
Now I will have pot odds to draw, but my pot equity will be below average. Cards like the Kc, Tc and the two jacks will give me more than my fair share of pot equity.

I will fold on 21 turn cards, be forced to call while still below break-even pot equity on 8 cards, and be at break-even or better with the remaining 16. In those cases the turn bets are not important or may even add to my stack.

The situation you speak of is important in cases where BOTH cards will require you to chase. Note that chasing has NOTHING to do with the current best hand. Chasing simply means that you are calling a bet when your pot equity is below average. If your pot equity is average or better, you are no longer chansing even if you don't have a pair yet.

[ QUOTE ]

Looking at it from a defensive point of view, you should see that it’s important to bet and raise a flop of QhTh6s

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. And I am amazed how rarely other players work this out. This sort of thing comes up A LOT in Omaha. Low hands must also do this to drive out mediocre high hands

[ QUOTE ]

The runner-runner flush draw is approximately worth the same as each jack (one out). It’s more complicated than just that - bunch of different values for different drawing cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

... holding AsKs3d2c....
Yeah, because turning a jack is not as great as it seems. You may tie for high and the riveer can flush or pair the board to destroy the hand. I consider the three jacks to be worth only a bit more than the backdoor flush. I am guessing that the backdoor low with protection give you roughly 8% pot equity by itself. A backdoor nut flush probably adds another 3% and the gutshot Jacks probably adds another 6%. And yes, these number are just guesses.

Jim M
Jim