Thread: Chasing
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Chasing

I think we have failed to communicate. I was referring to rasing before the flop as a means of allowing myself to be more likely to have the proper pot odds to CALL on this sort of flop. I was not suggesting raising on these flops,

In very passive crowds I think this is not nearly as weak a play as you suggest. but I suspect that, as you say, it is a money loser in the long run since so many turn cards will give someone a good reason to bet the turn. And more importantly, I may simply get reraised, which would be a disaster.

If however, It is checked to me, I will sometimes bet this kind of flop. (I raised pre-flop AcQcJT and the flop comes Jc7d3s). My opponents "put me on low". and some of them are the sort who would be betting the stronger high hands, so my high pair may not all that bad after all.

Now look what happens after I bet...

If a low card comes, they check to my non-existant nut low. Now I get a free shot at a river that I would not pay to see because I have only a few shbby outs for half a pot. Maybe the turn is an 8 and I river a A, J or 9, all of which are probably going to give me the high fairly often.

If, instead, a high card comes, they may decide to bet out with 2 pair or something, but since most or all of the high cards give me a great draw, I don't mind and I might even want to bet/raise myself. And getting a free card is still quite possible, since even though poeple put me on a low, they tend to check the turn without a high set or a made flush/straight when someone bet the flop. They forget that I am probably looking at another A237 that is quite eager to check this ugly turn. They often check to the better unless they pick up the nuts.

Even if the board pairs, it is not a disaster. Most people in my game will "put me on low" and bet their trips. If it is checked to me, I can bet again with what could easily be the best hand if there were not many callers on the flop.

Jim M