View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Wait, am I bluffing or value betting?

Quick history. Stars 55. The last two orbits it folded to me in the SB (this hand's villain was BB), both times i opened for 3x. The first time villain called and i checkraised all in on an A high flop and took it down. The second time he folded preflop. I'd been fairly quiet, but hand immediately before this one I reraised allin over a 3x open and took it down, showing AK.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t6325)
BB (t3315)
UTG (t3085)
UTG+1 (t1870)
MP1 (t4805)
MP2 (t2080)
MP3 (t1320)
Hero (t2925)
Button (t2665)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, Button calls t400, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1025) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button (after about two seconds) raises to t1200</font>

I have about 2k at this point.

If I lead for any more on the flop, I'm pretty much making him play just about perfectly, as he wont fold any better hands but will fold most worse hands. Though that's not THAT bad at this point when the pot is important and my hand is vulnerable.

If I check and he bets I have no idea where I am and don't really have enough to call and still get away if need be. I mean if he bets 700 I guess I go all in? Maybe thats a valid line, just decide I think I'm best and see what chips I can get from worse hands. If he checks behind it's no biggie either.

My 450 lead was intended for him to have no idea where I was at. The plan was to evaluate his timing and action and go from there. After my 450 lead I wouldn't expect him to immediately know what he wanted to do unless he had a real hand (in other words, if he had something marginal or air he'd think about it more), so the timing told me that I was probably beat.

The key here is that I did not want to be committed to blowing more chips after my preflop raise was called. The 'automatic' move is to just c-bet any flop but that's an awful idea here with these stacks out of position, IMO.

All comments welcome.

Everett