View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Finished SSH....next book should be...?

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished SSH and my question to you all is which book should I pick up next? I'm actively trying to improve my game, but still only comfortable/bankrolled enough to play the lower limits (.5/1, or 1/2 if I see a soft enough game). TOP, by all accounts, appears to be the best poker book ever written, but would the advice I find in that book apply to the lower limit games that I currently play? Is there another book I pick up the next time I'm at the mall that would be more beneficial for the stakes that I play.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

A number of people told you to read SSH again. And they're right. Other people told you TOP and HPFAP. And they're right, too.

The best advice is for you to start really studying your play. It's easy to deceive yourself into thinking you've got SSH mastered because you've read it a couple times and you're beating up on the $.25/$.50 game (or whatever game you were playing before $.50/$1).

Hang tight at $.50/$1 and build up your bankroll. Start watching your opponents and learning about how *THEY* play. Then look back at SSH, TOP, and HPFAP again with new insights in terms of responding to player specific situations. If you're looking to improve your game, that's where the real magic begins. These books are all about laying foundations. It's up to you to build on it.

I'll quote you again on something:

[ QUOTE ]
TOP, by all accounts, appears to be the best poker book ever written, but would the advice I find in that book apply to the lower limit games that I currently play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're asking this question, you're not understanding what these books are about. The ideas don't apply to specific limits, but to specific game conditions. Every now and then, I'll read a small stakes post about some very soft $40/80 game that was playing like a $3/6 game.

SSH is about specifics for beating soft games. HPFAP is about specifics for beating tougher games. TOP is about generic ideas which apply to all games. Keep that in mind as you go through them.