Thread: QJ preflop
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: QJ preflop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will open raise in any position QJs and Q10s as well as KJs and K10s. I wil also raise these hands after any number of limpers.

Some people will disagree with this, but I play well postflop ( I think so anyway) so these are all +ev raises for me even UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like exactly the type of player I love to isolate on with a 3-bet.

These open-raises are fine in a tight game or on a short-handed table, or even as an occasional change of pace play, but in a normal, 10-handed game, these are not +EV no matter how well you play postflop. Assuming your sample size is great enough to produce meaningful positional stats, I would challenge you to take a look at how well you do when raising QJs, QTs, and KTs from EP. I think you'll see that this is a losing proposition in most games.

Back to the OP, the reason you raise a hand like QJs behind many limpers is because it plays so well against a large field, but also because raising will often give you the required pot odds to chase flopped draws with it (and you will often flop a draw with a hand like this). And since none of these hands can make a non-nut, 2 card straight, and each will make a near-nut flush, you will often win when you do hit your draw.

There are other considerations, too, such as the likelihood that it will be checked to you on the flop, the possibility of buying the button, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with a hand like QJs and >3 limpers playing in front of you, you will be getting the right odds to call most of your draws on the flop anyway (some gut shots excluded) right?

I'm not the most experienced player so I think I also need some help understanding your logic. I think you are saying that if there is more money in the pot PF then there is more of a chance that continuing the hand on the flop will be a +EV play. But wouldn't the same thing be true of much weaker hands like 64s (i.e. if you put enough money in the pot PF then you can probobly make calling with 64s on the flop +EV)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between QJs an 64s is this, if you flop 'your' top pair, a Q in the QJ, compared to a 6 in the 64, which is more likely to be top pair?

The reason I raise QJs after like 3 limpers is this, there are a lot of hands that are in front of you that suck, and you want to get them to put in more money post flop.

If you raise 3 limpers, it will probably end up being a 10SB, 5 player pot to the flop. If the flop is Axx, none of your suit, just check/fold. If you flop top pair, you got a bigger pot. If you flop a straight/flush draw, you have almost infinite odds.

Also, say someone up front has A3o and you raise QJs. If the flop comes AT2, the A3 probably won't bet, and you can take a free card if you'd like. Only good things happen when you raise and take control of the hand.