View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Remote desktop control/shadowing

I work in tech support and we use a bunch of tools to dial into other computers.

Most popular is Symantec PCAnywhere, but you will have to pay for it. Unless you get it by other means.

RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC are all good, but you don't want to leave them on all the time since security wise they aren't very good. UltraVNC is nice since it lets you do file transfers.

WebEX and GoToMyPC are nice as well. Have to pay for these though. But these are great since you don't have to worry about the firewall, it uses the http protocol instead.

Remote desktop is good (only comes with xp pro though), but you basically kick off whomever is logged on the computer...although I have heard Windows 2003 has an option to not do this.

There is also Remote Assistant that comes with XP home and pro...not in love with it, but it does the job.

Although I have only used this a few times for my use, there is another free one called Simple Desktop from Moog software. Its alright, has some neat features...got PC Anywhere soon after that though so unable to comment on it too much.