View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Raising middle pairs

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I will be at a table that I'm beginning to notice is too tight, and I'll decide I need to raise the next late position hand I have. I'll raise with nearly anything, because I want to (a) disguise my big hands, and (b) see how long I can push before they push back.

In general, I like it a LOT when someone calls my preflop raise, even if I am sitting on nothing, because more often than not, they fold to my flop bet and I win more money than just the blinds. This happens a lot, and it adds up.

That said... my roommate likes to limp with anything up to TT and even JJ, because of pretty much what you said: people can't lay down their top or top two pairs. And they definitely don't see themselves being beaten by someone who doesn't even raise preflop.

I believe that my roommate's strategy is best, because we've found that much of our profit comes from the "one big hand" you have every session or two where your set is up against TPTK or top-two. It seems to outweigh all of those little pots that I pick up, and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you can raise more often in late position on a tight table. I just dont want to do it with a small or middle pair that that could win me a big pot if I had limped and let KJ stay in the hand. Id rather raise with random cards.