View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: KQo and i\'m first to act

I generally like it.

Bakku's suggestion to check the river is interesting. I think the value of checking is it avoids putting in 2 bets against an A and also may induce a river bluff.

The way you've played your hand, you could conceivably have a lot of hands on the river. You could have a big A (or even bigger) looking to screwplay the turn and have missed. (The old HPFAP line of checking the turn pretty regularly.) You could have a weak A and be looking to induce a bet from a weaker hand on the turn while avoiding spewing/getting played off the best hand. (Bet flop, check-call turn, bet river would be a very viable line with a hand like AXs). A smaller hand like a medium pocket pair is a bit less likely though betting a hand like TT on the river for the purpose of trying to fold a weak K or something like that is not entirely out of the question.

Mike will recognize that most of your hands though are probably in the KJ+ range, though. Because you do have some weakish hands in that range, raising becomes an option for him if he thinks you'll fold some Ks and such. Therefore folding to the river raise is not good in my opinion.

In turn, I think the river raise might come from a weaker hand often enough to make it better to bet the river than to check.