View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Why Current Online Win Rates Won\'t Persist

[ QUOTE ]

When I said this in my original reply this thread, it was in regards to the general population of a non-English speaking country. These people that you talk about are only a small percentage of the population and the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. How many people in japan and germany and france speak english? It is by no means a small percentage of the population. In south america and in mexico the percentage is much smaller, but among educated people it is still substantial. Either way, if watching poker were to become popular in south america and mexico, someone is going to write or translate poker books into spanish anyways.

I still think you are thinking of kids in sandals and flies on their face when you think about 3rd world countries. I am not sure about india, but in mexico and south america, plenty of people have computers and internet. Most of them are educated and a large number of them speak english. Ricky martin, shakira, salma hayek, antonio banderas, are examples of upperclass educated people from mexico that spoke english long before they came here. This is the case with most college educated people from 2nd and 3rd world countries. Basically poker is not going to appeal to lower class citizens in these places, it will to upperclass citizens. Most of them will be educated, most of them will have access to the internet. If poker becomes trendy in these places, they will be the ones joining the game. I don't think this is going to dry up the fish pool, but it is going to dilute it enough that winrates will drop. And like the OP said, they will settle for lesser win rates then we do.