View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Getting Check-raised on the river.

Not sure why you checked the turn. No reason to make him on a K or a 5 at that point so you're basically giving him a free card. If he check raises you after a bet on the turn, then he's probably slow playing a hand better than yours. If he calls and then checks the river, maybe I check out, depending on my read of him.

If I'm bet into on the JJ on this flop, I'd reraise. If it gets reraised backed to me, I'd probably fold unless I got a good read on this player and was pretty sure he'd come back at me with a bluff. Of course, if I thought that, I might just call to see what he does on the turn. This way you get your info from the small bets rather than waiting for a couple big ones and getting stuck in on a loser because of pot odds.

The reason I say all of this is because that can be a scary flop for a lot of different preflop raised hands and so if I cold call or limp and get reraised preflop in EP and then a pair comes on the flop, I'll bet into the raiser almost every time. The small bet gives you a lot of information and it's a good time to bluff if you haven't yet. If you get reraised, then you can say something like, "I guess my pair of nines is beat" and throw your hand in.