View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Anyone have a good game theory reference?

I am interested in learning Game Theory as related to poker. I play NL Holdem. I would like to find a coherent, useful book (or books) on the application of Game Theory to holdem poker. The books I know about (but have not read) are:

Poker Strategy: Winning with Game Theory, Naismith Ankeny. Rated 9 by Mason in GTAOT. Mason describes it as primarily a 5 card draw book.

The Mathematics of Gambling, Edward O. Thorpe. Rated 9 by Mason in GTAOT. Good review.

Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic, Richard Epstein. Rated 10 by Mason in GTAOT. Mason’s review: “one of the most amazing books in the gambling field.....a graduate level text for someone with a sophisticated background in math and statistics.”

The Mathematics of Games and Gambling, Edward Packel. Rated 9 by Mason in GTAOT. Mason’s review: “excellent discussion of the math and probability and stats related to gambling...”
recommended for those of you who are weak in this area.

Thinking Strategically, Dixit and Nalebuff. Highly rated game theory text, not poker related.

I am sure there are more. Yes, my edcuation is in physics, so I am not afraid of a math book, but it’s been 40 years for PokerGod’s sake, and I do not use statistics on a daily basis in my work. I can’t handle a graduate course on statistics and game theory.

Anyone have opinions of these books or others that would help in learning game theory as it applies to holdem? Search on this forum has not so far helped, but a link to prev threads like this certainly would.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]