View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM

Default What\'s a good response when someone asks you what cards you had?

I don't play live that much, and I'm a quiet reserved person by nature, so I sometimes find it difficult to handle aggressive jerks at the table.

So yesterday, a young kid folded to my bluff raise after the flop came J-J-2 (I had Q-9). He said, "What'd ya have?" I just shrugged and smiled, and tried ignoring him. He kept pressing, "What was it, K-J? J-10?" Finally I politely said, "You have to call if you want to know my hand", and he said, "Bro, it's a $3-6 table, this ain't the WPT, so just relax and tell me your hand." He was looking at the other players like I was the biggest a-hole in poker history. He kept muttering about it for the rest of the session every time I was involved in a pot with him, like "uh-oh Mr. WPT's in another pot", etc. It started to make me a little uncomfortable after a while. I even considered switching tables, but I decided not to because the game was very good.

Was I wrong? Does B&M etiquette require that I disclose my cards in low-limit games? If not, is there a good comeback I could use, to get guys like this off my back in the future? In the heat of the moment I just couldn't think of anything to say that would effectively end it and shut the guy up.