View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: So I saw the new poker room at the MGM today

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that Wynn's will likely suck, the management is not POKER friendly or savvy and very little $ being put into the room compared to other things

[/ QUOTE ]

You then must be uninformed. Allow me the educate [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

1) Danny N is the room's poker host. They don't invest that kind of money (he doesn't come cheep) unless they plan to cater to the top-tier crowd

2) Steve Wynn is a poker player. Many have said he could have been a great one if he wasn't so busy managing his empire. Remember, Bobby Baldwin got the job at Mirage in part due to his poker relationship with Wynn.

3) Bobby Baldwin cannot play poker in his own rooms (TI, Bellagio, Mirage, MGM), you can probably bank on it that he will be playing at the Wynn now. This is of course only an educated guess, but I like my odds.

4) The poker room is stocked with RFDI chips, which means they are investing heavily in the supporting technology to develop next-step chip tracking techniques. One of the options commonly discussed is providing comps based on betting patturns instead of time. That would of course be a huge advancement for poker players, we would no longer be the bottom of the comp barrel.

I don't think we have much to worry about here, Wynn will be the #1 room in town by the begining of May, and there are few people who would despite that statement.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]