View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: An Open Challenge

The law doesn't require everyone to pay taxes, only those who make money in certain ways and spend it in certain ways.

I could live as a hermit in the wilderness, hunt my own food or bum off of other people and I wouldn't pay a red cent in taxes, all legally of course. Heck, I'd probably be eligible for some free money from the gov't if I am clever in the application process.

Or I could choose to work a modest amount in a reasonable comfortable job and pay a modest amount of taxes.

Or I could choose a high stress job in which I earn a lot and pay a lot of taxes.

Which one I choose (and which one everyone else chooses) makes a big difference for the armed forces. If everyone chose to be a hermit or have a low stress job with modest wages then under current tax laws there would not be enough revenue for the government to run a strong military.

IMO It is wise for everyone to respect the source from which his income and livelihood are derived, and the military is no exception.

[Edited to add this part]

Besides, if a good army General could choose between me signing up for the army myself, or continuing to work at what I'm good at producing enough tax revenue to pay for 3 soldiers who are younger, stronger, and faster than I am, then which do you think he would choose? And if you say there are not enough applicants, raise the salaries and make the benefits better and you'll still be able to get two for the price of one.

It's just basic economics.