View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Another Small Pocket Pair Post -- Fundamentals (boring)

There are two trains of thought.

1) Raising with medium pairs for preflop equity, and you'd like to get people in the blinds to fold. The drawback to this is you make the pot bigger and people are more inclined to call flop bets and raises to chase. Obviously with 4+ others in the pot, 10-10 and below doesn't stand nearly as good a chance to hold up if you don't flop a set.

2) Calling for deception and to flop a set. Now if you see a nice rag flop and you feel you have the best hand, you can bet and raise and get more people to fold if you want to protect your hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Say you have four people limping, do you like raising or calling with TT-77 on the button or CO?

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually with 10-10, I'll raise, lower pairs, I'll just call.

[ QUOTE ]
What if four players have cold called a raise and you're on the button or CO? Anyone three bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold call any pocket pair 10's and below. JJ and higher, I would 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical Hand #1

Four players limp -- you're on the button with 9h9s. What do you do? Let's say you raise and limpers and BB calls.

Now Ks 8s 2h flops

Check, check, bet, fold, CO raises, it's on you -- fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is ragged with no straight draw on board. There is a flush draw, but it's almost certain that at least one of the players has a K and you don't have the odds to chase a set. I would fold. This is especially true if your 99 doesn't include a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

What if it's checked to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. You are most likely to have the best hand, but you shouldn't give anyone free cards. It's not likely everyone folds, but for everyone who does, your odds of winning goes up.

[ QUOTE ]

What if there's a bet and a call?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is dependent on the opponent who bet, but I would either raise or fold at this point. Sometimes a bet will be made with middle pair or a flush draw and will test the field. You should drive out as many people as you can while getting information from the original better or caller who may reraise you. That should give you better knowledge of where you stand.
[ QUOTE ]

Let's say it's checked to you, you bet and get two callers.
Turn is Td

Check, bet and its up to you. Fold or call?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's looking bleak now. Again it's opponent dependent, but I would probably fold in this situation the odds he's bluffing decrease because there are 2 more people in the pot. It's not like a new flush draw appeared.

[ QUOTE ]
River is an 4s (making a possible flush)

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you just called the turn, I would check this river behind. I really don't think there's much point value betting this board.

Garland